Thursday, January 9, 2014

With Hope, the Odds Don't Matter

With social media, forwarded e-mails, and blogs we are literally inundated on a daily basis with stories of tragedy, suffering, loss...and thankfully stories of triumph!  Since we see all of this stuff so much I worry about us becoming a little conditioned toward harder hearts, because it almost produces the "video game syndrome" where we become desensitized to what we are seeing.  WE MUST NOT LOSE OUR FEELINGS AND ABILITY TO BE IN AWE OF MIRACLES IN THIS WORLD!  That is why I TRY (working on it) not to share every story, no matter how amazing, but sometimes I am compelled and just can't help it!  This is one of those cases.

I had an epiphany the other day while (once again) pondering "why do so many people suffer?"  I don't really have an answer, but I do know that it makes us more compassionate.  It makes us able to connect with each other like no other experience can.  It is unfortunate that that's what it takes sometimes, but even struggle has its value.  Through my faith in my religion I have truly come to believe that we are put here on Earth to love and help each other.  That is the number one message.

It's not like it is a new concept for people to get sick and die, but I do believe there is a direct connection between the toxins in our environment and the widespread breakdown of the human body.  I have a handful of reasons for sharing this story on my blog, so I will sum them up like this:

1. What you expose yourself and your children to really DOES matter, though the impact might not show up until many years later.  In this case, there was no awareness of the dangers or they obviously would have done things differently.  This is the whole driving force behind my blog, to help people know better so they can do better!

2. Her "rose-colored glasses" are probably one of the biggest reasons she healed.  We should all be working on our positivity and overall outlook on life.  It makes more of a difference than we even know!  (Way more on this topic coming in future blog posts!)

3. The last line of the video, which is the title of this post - "With hope, the odds don't matter."  The "With hope" part goes along with #2 above, but the second part struck me even more.  For some reason doctors feel like they must (and probably have been trained to) give a prognosis, a timeline, when they really can't possibly know for sure.  Why is it so bad?  It sucks the hope right out of most patients.  It creates the "nocebo effect," meaning "I shall harm."  I will be writing about this a lot more, because it is the basis of one of the books that changed my life the most.

This story also makes you realize that you can do anything!  I thought it was bad when I became bed-ridden-ill with a two-year-old, but this woman had a newborn and still set out on making healing her mission!  Very inspiring!  These stories and connections with others in adverse situations are little messages from above saying to YOU, "You can do it!"  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment